When do you need a tax attorney

When do you need a tax attorney

When do you need a tax attorney

So when do you need a tax attorney or an enrolled agent? Tax attorneys & Enrolled agents are lawyers who specialize in the complex and technical area of tax legislation. Tax attorneys and enrolled agents are best for handling complex technical and legal problems. 

You definitely need a tax attorney if: 

* There is a taxable estate involved. and you need to make complex strategy estate planning or you are required to file an estate tax returns. 

* When starting a business and need legal advice on the structure and tax treatment of your business. 

* There may be involved in international business and need help with contracts, tax treatment, and other legal issues. 

* You considering a lawsuit against the IRS. 

* You need an independent evaluation of your case before tax court in the United States. 

* There is a criminal investigation by the IRS in progress. 

* Tax fraud has been committed and you are involved(e.g. claiming false deductions and credits) and need the protection of privilege. 

What to look for when looking for a Tax attorney

Tax lawyers must have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree and must be admitted to the state bar. These are the minimum requirements for the practice of law. Additionally, tax attorneys should have advanced training in tax law. Most have a master’s degree in law (LL.M.) in Taxation. Enrolled agents do not need to hold a Doctorate degree in order to practice on any level of IRS. They are federally authorized tax practitioner who passed a 3 stage exam supervised by the department of treasury to become proficient in any tax matter.


Some tax lawyers have a background in accounting. If you are facing legal problems of a complex accounting, you may like to find a lawyer who is also a certified public accountant

Questions to ask 

  1. Is the attorney admitted to the State Bar? 
  1. What does the tax attorney specialize in? 
  1. How much does the lawyer charge? 
  1. Can the lawyer help you with your tax case? 

Free and low-cost legal assistance. 

Contact Green Tree, we offer our numerous clients the best services at affordable prices for all your tax matter when you need them.

Upload Files ( Jpeg, Pdf etc )